6 Points why and how Samsung took over the Market from Nokia
Nokia Vs Samsung Mobile Phone
While the current big fight is in between Samsung and Apple, let us have a quick look on the comparison between Samsung and Nokia Mobile phone markets
- Dual SIM Mobiles: Samsung started to take over the Market with the release of Dual SIM phone. It was an era when a wide section of the Mobile phone users preferred dual SIM cards. This is certainly a section where Nokia was quite rigid till they launched their first Dual Sim Mobile Phone. But it was too late. Samsung, with its wide range of dual sim mobile, had already captured the market and obviously did make quite a goodwill.
- Integration of Basic Features: Where Nokia concentrated more on reliability, Samsung integrated very basic features like VGA Camera, FM, Color Display, Sing Tones etc over a wide range of its phone and lured the people. Where Nokia is till date considered to be a hugely reliable brand, Samsung gathered another section of the society who was more interested in getting basic features. Nokia did also implement these features, but their implementation came in late and more importantly over a lesser range of products.
- Battery: Battery is undoubtedly the greatest strength of Nokia, so much so, that people even swore in the name of Nokia’s Battery. This is very strong a reason why people preferred Nokia. But over the years Samsung did quite a nice job with their R&D and improved their battery quality as well. The improvement of Battery life/longevity was a major step for the Korean Giant to capture the market.
- Smartphone:Now coming into the era when people started getting much more tech savvy, Samsung plunged deep into the Smartphone world with an amazing Galaxy series. Smartphones like Galaxy Y, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Ace and Finally the Galaxy S series like SII and SIII as of now.Where Nokia stuck to their Symbian OS and on a later time with Windows OS for Mobile, Samsung incorporated the much user friendly and popular Android Operating System by Google. Samsung was flexible enough to adapt with BADA, Android and later even Window OS for Mobile. Such wide range of products gave users their desired options while making the purchase.
- Looks: Where Samsung did a lot of research with the looks of their phone, The Finnish Giant preferred the traditional look and did much less experiment. Then again when Samsung introduced the Galaxy series, they WOWed the people with its gorgeous and slim look.
- Price: Another very important point is the price. Studies have proved that there are mainly 2 section of mobile phone users: One which goes for very less price, while the others don’t even bother about the price. Speaking of the first segment, Samsung did provide a lot of basic features in the very low price range. This did attract one segment of the users. Nokia was again stringent on the price level. They concentrated more on quality and price was not compromised.
Now the Second segment – For people who don’t even care about price, rather want only features, Samsung introduced the Smartphone series with a wide range of products ranging from 8K to 40K. So people could make their choice quite easily.
There may be and there are many other major points along with marketing strategies, sales strategies etc. Please feel free to add your points as well in the comments section